Basic EMDR Therapy Training Course Overview
Basic EMDR Therapy Training Course is designed for mental health practitioners who do psychotherapy for adults, adolescents, and children in a clinical setting (see Eligibility Requirement section). It provides the practitioners with the knowledge and skills of how to utilize EMDR; it also gives them a comprehensive understanding of case conceptualization and treatment planning, and on how to integrate EMDR into their clinical practice. This course involves instruction and actual practice for the participants.
The Basic EMDR Therapy Training Course is composed of Parts 1 & 2 with 10 hours of group consultation/supervision.
- Part 1 is a minimum of 20-hours workshop of instruction and practicum that is covered intensively in 3 or 4 days.
- 10 hours of group consultation/supervision: 5 hours of group consultation is to be done before Part 2 and 5 hours after Part 2.
- It is recommended that a minimum of 20 sessions using EMDR therapy with clients be completed before registering for Part 2.
- Part 2: is a minimum of 20-hours workshop of instruction and practicum to be covered in 3 or 4 days.
- 2 Training Manuals: Manuals 1 & 2 will be given to participants in Parts 1 & 2. These manuals are authored by Dr. Francine Shapiro.
- Required Reading: Participants will be required to read the textbook by Francine Shapiro, PhD:
Shapiro, F. (2017). Eye Movement Desensitization
- Upon the completion of the Basic EMDR Therapy Training course, a “Certificate of Completion” will be issued to participants from an accredited source.
- N.B. Full Attendance is required. The “Certificate of Completion” will not be issued for those who miss any section of the workshops.
Part 1 - Learning Objectives:
The participant will:
- Identify 3 components of the EMDR Approach designed to provide effective treatment with clients
- Describe 3 important existing research studies
- Name the 8 phases of EMDR therapy for comprehensive treatment and how to implement the phases with clients
- Identify the parameters treatable with EMDR therapy to safely and effectively implement EMDR therapy with clients
- Describe 3 aspects of the AIP Model for effective case conceptualization and treatment planning
- List 6 types of client complaints treatable with EMDR therapy
- Describe the criteria for client selection and how to apply it to client cases
- Describe 3 safety measures for effective and safe use of EMDR therapy
Part 2 - Learning Objectives:
The participant will:
- Describe 3 strategies to identify and effectively resolve problem areas in the utilization of EMDR therapy
- Describe procedures for closing down incomplete sessions
- Describe 3 resources to use with difficult or resistant clients
- Describe a treatment plan to choose and prioritize targets appropriate for EMDR treatment
- Describe strategies for dealing with highly emotional responses
- Describe strategies for dealing with dissociative symptoms and phobias
- Describe strategies to treat more complex trauma-related disorders
- The participant should have a Master degree or higher in psychology, counseling, or psychiatry.
- The participant should have a minimum of 2 years’ experience working as a therapist after the Master degree.
- The participant should be currently working as a practitioner.
- The participant should pass the interview led by the Standards Committee.
Rules for Registration:
When a date of the Basic EMDR Therapy Training Course is scheduled and announced, the practitioner who is interested in taking the training course is supposed to do the following:
- Fill the Application online.
- Upload Curriculum Vitae CV
- Upload a scanned copy of the highest university degree.
- Upload a letter of reference or recommendation that proves that he/she has a minimum of 2 years of experience in therapy after the Master degree.
- Upload a scanned copy of Identity Card or Passport.
The Standards Committee will review these documents and will assign an appointment to interview the applicant. After the interveiw, the Standards Committee will send a recommendation to the adminstrative board of EMDR Lebanon Association. Upon the approval of the administrative board, the applicant will receive information related to method of payment.
Schedule of Next Basic EMDR Therapy Training Course